Camp history

Fremington Army Camp was constructed on what was in the early 1940s undeveloped fields immediately to the north of the village of Fremington.

The  camp  was  established in  1942-43 as  a  hospital  for  American forces during WWII and accommodated just over 830 beds.  In  1946,  the  School  of Combined Operations moved in to the camp, necessitating extensive alterations to much of  the existing  building  stock, although this work also included  the construction of new buildings. The camp remained in continuous use not only by elements of the military, but also local civilian bodies, from 1946 until its closure by MOD late in 2009.

1888 OS plan

1888 OS plan

Aerial photo of Fremington Army Camp dated 1946

Aerial photo of Fremington Army Camp dated 1946

 

Comments are closed.